I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried 5-Hydroxytryptophan||0 people have prescribed 5-Hydroxytryptophan|
5-HTP should not be used in combination with antidepressants, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) or herbs that have MAOI activity. 4
As Tryptophan is sometimes recommended for relieving insomnia, it may cause some drowsiness.
Some users have reported nausea in the first few days of usage, but it typically goes away.
- Sternberg EM, Van Woert MH, Young SN, Magnussen I, Baker H, Gauthier S, Osterland CK. Development of a scleroderma-like illness during therapy with L-5-hydroxytryptophan and carbidopa. N Engl J Med. 303(14):782-7.
- Gwaltney-Brant SM, Albretsen JC, Khan SA. 5-Hydroxytryptophan toxicosis in dogs: 21 cases (1989-1999). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 216(12):1937-40.
- Coleman M. Myoclonus in the young after 5-hydroxytryptophan [letter]. N Engl J Med. 1977;296:820.
- De Giorgis G, Miletto R, Iannuccelli M, Camuffo M, Scerni S. Headache in association with sleep disorders in children: a psychodiagnostic evaluation and controlled clinical study--L-5-HTP versus placebo. Drugs Exp Clin Res. 13(7):425-33.
- Klarskov K, Johnson KL, Benson LM, Gleich GJ, Naylor S. Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome case-associated contaminants in commercially available 5-hydroxytryptophan. Adv Exp Med Biol. 467():461-8.
- Belongia EA, Hedberg CW, Gleich GJ, White KE, Mayeno AN, Loegering DA, Dunnette SL, Pirie PL, MacDonald KL, Osterholm MT. An investigation of the cause of the eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome associated with tryptophan use. N Engl J Med. 323(6):357-65.
- Castot A, Bidault I, Bournerias I, Carlier P, Efthymiou ML. ["Eosinophilia-myalgia" syndrome due to L-tryptophan containing products. Cooperative evaluation of French Regional Centers of Pharmacovigilance. Analysis of 24 cases] Therapie. 46(5):355-65.
- Ito J, Hosaki Y, Torigoe Y, Sakimoto K. Identification of substances formed by decomposition of peak E substance in tryptophan. Food Chem Toxicol. 1992;30:71-81.
- Martin RW, Duffy J, Engel AG, Lie JT, Bowles CA, Moyer TP, Gleich GJ. The clinical spectrum of the eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome associated with L-tryptophan ingestion. Clinical features in 20 patients and aspects of pathophysiology. Ann Intern Med. 113(2):124-34.
- Mayeno AN, Lin F, Foote CS, et al. Characterization of “peak E,” a novel amino acid associated with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome. Science. 1990;250:1707-1708.
- Toyo'oka T, Yamazaki T, Tanimoto T, Sato K, Sato M, Toyoda M, Ishibashi M, Yoshihira K, Uchiyama M. Characterization of contaminants in EMS-associated L-tryptophan samples by high-performance liquid chromatography. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 39(3):820-2.
- Trucksess MW, Thomas FS, Page SW. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of 1,1'-ethylidenebis(L-tryptophan) in L-tryptophan preparations. J Pharm Sci. 83(5):720-2.
- Trucksess MW. Separation and isolation of trace impurities in L-tryptophan by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr. 630(1-2):147-50.
- Das YT, Bagchi M, Bagchi D, Preuss HG. Safety of 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan. Toxicol Lett. 150(1):111-22.