Acetaminophen, Aspirin, and Caffeine Overview
(a seet a MIN oh fen, AS pir in, & KAF een)
Created: 2007-04-25 13:59:29.0
Modified: 2010-03-22 14:25:45.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Acetaminophen blocks production and release of chemicals that cause pain.
• Aspirin blocks production and release of chemicals that cause pain and inflammation.
• Caffeine relieves pain.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Mix powder with water and drink.
• Do not take more than prescribed amount. Liver damage can occur.
• Do not take for more than 48 hours if treating migraine headache.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to acetaminophen, aspirin, caffeine, or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Bleeding problems, nasal polyps, or rhinitis.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
U.S. Brand Names
Anacin® Advanced Headache Formula [OTC]; Excedrin® Extra Strength [OTC]; Excedrin® Migraine [OTC]; Fem-Prin® [OTC]; Genaced™ [OTC]; Goody's® Extra Strength Headache Powder [OTC]; Goody's® Extra Strength Pain Relief [OTC]; Pain-Off [OTC]; Vanquish® Extra Strength Pain Reliever [OTC]
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Keep a diary of your headaches.