(a si TRE tin)
Created: 2005-04-07 16:15:24.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:28:04.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Acitretin reduces irritation and inflammation.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine with food.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
Mexican Brand Names
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to acitretin or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you are an alcohol drinker or take any alcohol-containing medicines.
• If you have any of the following conditions: High cholesterol, kidney disease, or liver disease.
• If you are of childbearing age, but are not using two forms of birth control or if you are planning to become pregnant during your treatment or within 3 years after treatment has ended.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
• If you are breast-feeding.
U.S. Brand Names
Soriatane® CK Convenience Kit™ [DSC]
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• Females: Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or want to become pregnant in the next 3 years. Your healthcare provider will talk about the risk before starting you on this medicine. Use two effective forms of birth control 1 month before starting this medicine and for 3 years after treatment ends. Pregnancy tests will be done to show that you are NOT pregnant before starting and while taking this medicine. If you become pregnant while taking this medicine, call healthcare provider right away. If you understand all the information and can follow the directions you must sign a patient information/consent form. Do not sign the form and do not take the medicine if you do not understand everything on the form.
• Do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine and for 2 months after medicine is stopped.
• This medicine does not mix well with many medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
• Do not donate blood while using this medicine and for 3 years after stopping.
• This medicine may cause liver problems. Call healthcare provider if you notice dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, nausea, vomiting, or yellowing of the skin or eyes.
• Please read the medication guide.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood work regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• If you are a female of childbearing age, take two pregnancy tests before starting this medicine and monthly while using this medicine.
• Dry mouth may cause an increase in cavities. Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.