(al BYOO ter ole)
Created: 2006-10-13 10:25:45.0
Modified: 2010-03-17 10:53:27.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Airomir; Apo-Salvent®; Apo-Salvent® CFC Free; Apo-Salvent® Respirator Solution; Apo-Salvent® Sterules; Mylan-Salbutamol Respirator Solution; Mylan-Salbutamol Sterinebs P.F.; Nu-Salbutamol; PHL-Salbutamol; PMS-Salbutamol; ratio-Ipra-Sal; ratio-Salbutamol; Salbu-2; Salbu-4; Sandoz-Salbutamol; Ventolin®; Ventolin® Diskus; Ventolin® HFA; Ventolin® I.V. Infusion; Ventolin® Nebules P.F.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Albuterol works at sites in the airways to relax the muscles and improve oxygen delivery.
• It works to decrease uterine contractions.
How is it best taken?
• Follow directions given by healthcare provider. Do not use more than the maximum recommended daily dose.
• If exercise causes symptoms, use immediately before activity.
• For inhaling (puffing) only by an inhaler or as a liquid (solution) through a special machine (nebulizer) into the lungs.
• Shake inhaler well before use.
• Prepare inhaler before first use or whenever inhaler has not been used for more than 2 weeks. Spray 4 test sprays into the air.
• A spacer can be used with the inhaler for easier delivery.
• If you are using more than one type of inhaler, ask healthcare provider which inhaler to use first.
• Rinse out mouth after each use.
• Check inhaler use with healthcare provider at each visit. Read and follow all instructions provided with inhaler. Using the inhaler the right way is very important.
• Take tablet/syrup with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Long-acting products: Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• This medicine is given as a shot into a vein over a period of time.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Throw away inhaler after the recommended maximum number of sprays have been used, even if it feels like there is more medicine in the canister.
• Do not use if solution changes color.
• The injection will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
Mexican Brand Names
Assal; Avedox-FC; Brusal; Inbumed; Salbutalan; Unibron; Ventolin; Zibil
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to albuterol or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
U.S. Brand Names
AccuNeb®; ProAir® HFA; Proventil® HFA; Ventolin® HFA; VoSpire ER®
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Monitor asthma with peak flow meter.
• Dry mouth may cause an increase in cavities. Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.