Aluminum Hydroxide and Magnesium Hydroxide Overview
(a LOO mi num hye DROKS ide & mag NEE zhum hye DROK side)
Created: 2006-10-13 10:32:48.0
Modified: 2010-08-03 09:44:49.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Diovol®; Diovol® Ex; Gelusil® Extra Strength; Mylanta™
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Antacids reduce stomach acid.
How is it best taken?
• Take 1 to 3 hours after meals as antacid.
• Chew or crush tablet well. Take with a full glass of water.
• A liquid (suspension) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Shake well before use.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to aluminum, magnesium, or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
U.S. Brand Names
Alamag [OTC]; Mag-Al Ultimate [OTC]; Mag-Al [OTC]
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Follow up with healthcare provider.