(a MAN ta deen)
Created: 2006-10-13 10:33:00.0
Modified: 2010-03-19 13:17:08.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Endantadine®; Mylan-Amantadine; PMS-Amantadine; Symmetrel®
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Amantadine helps the body's immune system fight the flu.
• It is used to treat a chemical imbalance in Parkinson's disease.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine early in the day to avoid sleep problems.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• You may sprinkle contents of capsule on soft food or liquid. Do not chew.
• A liquid (syrup) is available if you cannot swallow pills.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect capsules and tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Do not freeze liquid.
Mexican Brand Names
Anti-Parkinson's Agent, Dopamine Agonist; Antiviral Agent; Antiviral Agent, Adamantane
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to amantadine or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
U.S. Brand Names
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.