I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Ambrisentan||0 people have prescribed Ambrisentan|
(am bri SEN tan)
U.S. Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Endothelin Antagonist; Vasodilator
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine may cause severe liver damage.
• You cannot obtain this medicine from your pharmacy. It is available only through the company which makes it.
• Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant.
• Please read the medication guide.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to ambrisentan or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
• If you are breast-feeding.
How does it work?
• Ambrisentan blocks endothelin, a chemical in the blood that causes blood vessels to narrow.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine at a similar time of day.
• To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Swallow tablet whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• If you are a female of childbearing age, take a pregnancy test before starting this medicine.
• If you are a female of childbearing age, take a monthly pregnancy test.
• Check blood work (liver function, hemoglobin, hematocrit). Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2007-07-11 15:11:06.0
Modified: 2010-05-07 09:58:48.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.