Antihemophilic Factor (Recombinant) Overview
(an tee hee moe FIL ik FAK tor ree KOM be nant)
Created: 2005-04-07 16:18:46.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:19:12.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Advate; Helixate® FS; Kogenate®; Kogenate® FS; Recombinate; ReFacto®
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Antihemophilic factor (recombinant) replaces the proper proteins to prevent bleeding.
How is it best taken?
• This medicine is given as a shot into a vein.
• This medicine can be given at home.
• Your healthcare provider may teach you how to give the shot.
• Wash hands before and after use.
• Throw away needles in needle/sharp disposal box and return box to healthcare provider when full.
How should I store this medicine?
• Usually, this medicine will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
• If given at home, may store unopened vials at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
• If stored at room temperature, throw away any unused Advate vials after 6 months.
• If stored at room temperature, throw away any unused Helixate® FS, Kogenate® FS, Recombinate™, ReFacto®, or Xyntha™ vials after 3 months.
• Protect from light.
Mexican Brand Names
Koate DVI; Novo Nordsk; Novoseven
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to antihemophilic factor (recombinant), mice, hamsters, pigs, or any part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
U.S. Brand Names
Advate; Helixate® FS; Kogenate® FS; Recombinate; ReFacto® [DSC]; Xyntha™
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Follow up with healthcare provider.