1 person has experienced Artichoke. Have you?
I'm a professional and
|1 person has tried Artichoke||0 people have prescribed Artichoke|
Effect of Artichoke on Lipid Disorders
Artichoke leaf may work by interfering with cholesterol synthesis.82 A compound in artichoke called luteolin may play a role in reducing cholesterol.83
Read more about Lipid Disorders and Artichoke.
What Is Artichoke Used for Today?
Artichoke leaf (as opposed to cynarin) continues to be used in many countries.
Germany's Commission E has authorized its use for "dyspeptic problems." 1 Dyspepsia is a rather vague term that corresponds to the common word "indigestion," indicating a variety of digestive problems including discomfort in the stomach, bloating, lack of appetite, nausea, and mild diarrhea or constipation. At least one substantial double-blind study indicates that artichoke leaf is indeed helpful for this condition. 2 Another fairly substantial study indicates that artichoke leaf may help lower cholesterol . 3 Based on a general notion that artichoke leaf is good for the liver, it has become a popular treatment for alcohol-induced hangovers. However, a small double-blind, placebo-controlled study failed to find it more effective than placebo. 4 A number of animal studies suggest that artichoke protects the liver from damage by chemical toxins. 5 Artichoke's liver-protective effects, however, have never been proven in controlled clinical trials.
- Blumenthal M, ed. The Complete German Commission E Monographs, Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. Boston, MA: Integrative Medicine Communications;1998:84.
- Holtmann G, Adam B, Haag S, Collet W, Grünewald E, Windeck T. Efficacy of artichoke leaf extract in the treatment of patients with functional dyspepsia: a six-week placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicentre trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 18(11-12):1099-105.
- Englisch W, Beckers C, Unkauf M, Ruepp M, Zinserling V. Efficacy of Artichoke dry extract in patients with hyperlipoproteinemia. Arzneimittelforschung. 50(3):260-5.
- Pittler MH, White AR, Stevinson C, Ernst E. Effectiveness of artichoke extract in preventing alcohol-induced hangovers: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ. 169(12):1269-73.
- Kraft K. Artichoke leaf extract—recent findings reflecting effects on lipid metabolism, liver and gastrointestinal tracts. Phytomedicine. 1997;4:369-378.