(be TAKS oh lol)
Created: 2006-10-13 10:56:53.0
Modified: 2010-03-25 09:03:46.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Betoptic® S; Sandoz-Betaxolol
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Betaxolol blocks chemicals that stimulate the body.
• It lowers pressure in the eye.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine at a similar time of day.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
• For the eye only.
• Shake suspension well before use.
• Take out contact lenses before using medicine. Lenses can be replaced 15 minutes after medicine is given. Do not put contacts back in if eyes are irritated or infected.
• Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
• Tilt head back and drop medicine into eye.
• After using medicine, keep your eyes closed. Apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 3-5 minutes. This keeps the medicine in your eye.
• Separate each eye medicine by 5 minutes.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect tablets from light.
• Protect tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
Mexican Brand Names
Beta Blocker, Beta-1 Selective; Ophthalmic Agent, Antiglaucoma
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to betaxolol or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Severely weakened heart or slow heartbeat without a working pacemaker.
• If you are more than 12 weeks pregnant.
U.S. Brand Names
Betoptic® S; Kerlone®
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine. To avoid side effects, you will want to slowly stop it.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood pressure and heart rate regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Have a yearly eye exam.
• Have eye pressure checked regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.