I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Breast Needle Biopsy||0 people have prescribed Breast Needle Biopsy|
Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.
This is done to examine a suspicious area in the breast. It may be done if any of the following are found:
- Tissue thickening
- Nipple abnormality
- Discharge from the nipple
- Abnormal ultrasound or mammogram image
The biopsy can identify the area as either benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous).
Complications are rare, but no procedure is completely free of risk. If you are planning to have a needle breast biopsy, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
Some factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
- Poor nutrition
- Chronic illness, like diabetes
- Bleeding disorder
Be sure to discuss these risks with your doctor before the procedure.
Call Your Doctor
After arriving home, contact your doctor if any of the following occurs:
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge from the biopsy site
- Nausea and/or vomiting that you cannot...