(broe moe KRIP teen)
Created: 2006-10-13 11:02:11.0
Modified: 2010-03-25 09:05:26.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Bromocriptine®; Parlodel®; PMS-Bromocriptine
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Bromocriptine improves the chemical balance in the brain.
• It prevents prolactin secretion.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine at least 4 hours before bedtime to decrease nausea.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
Mexican Brand Names
Anti-Parkinson's Agent, Dopamine Agonist; Ergot Derivative
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to bromocriptine or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Heart disease, high blood pressure, or poor blood flow to the legs.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
• If you are breast-feeding.
U.S. Brand Names
Cycloset®; Parlodel®; Parlodel® SnapTabs®
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with many medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood pressure and heart rate regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.