I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Bunion Removal||0 people have prescribed Bunion Removal|
A bunion removal is a surgery to repair a deformity in the joint that connects the big toe to the foot. It is done by removing excess bone in the joint area.
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
A bunion is an inflammation and enlargement of the big toe's joint and the tissue around it. In some cases, the deformity is so severe that the big toe begins to slant toward the outside of the foot. Surgery to correct it is considered when:
- Other attempts at therapy have failed, such as anti-inflammatory agents, physical therapy, specially shaped shoes, or inserts to decrease pressure
- The pain of a bunion interferes with walking
- The foot deformity makes walking difficult
If you are planning to have a bunion removal, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Toe may be misaligned or too short
- The bunion may recur
Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
- Smoking and alcohol abuse
- Poor nutrition
- Poor health
Call Your Doctor
After arriving home, contact your doctor if any of the following occurs:
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any discharge from the site
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicines you have been given
- Nausea and/or vomiting that you cannot...