I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Butterbur||0 people have prescribed Butterbur|
Effect of Butterbur on Allergic Rhinitis
The exact effect of butterbur on allergic rhinitis is not clear. Butterbur may help by reducing the inflammation that leads to most of the problematic symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
Read more about Allergic Rhinitis and Butterbur.
What Is Butterbur Used for Today?
A special toxin-free butterbur extract has been investigated for the treatment of a variety of illnesses. Two double-blind trials suggest that this butterbur extract may be useful for preventing migraine headaches . 1 2 In addition, meaningful evidence indicates that this extract is helpful for hay fever . 3 There is some evidence that butterbur has anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic effects, 4 and on this basis it has been proposed as a treatment for a variety of musculoskeletal pain conditions; however, meaningful clinical trials have not been reported. 5 Butterbur has also undergone highly preliminary investigation for treatment of asthma 6 and for protecting the stomach lining from injury, thereby helping to prevent ulcers . 7 Preliminary evidence suggests that butterbur is notlikely to be particularly effective for allergic skin diseases, such as eczema . 8
- Grossmann M, Schmidramsl H. An extract of Petasites hybridus is effective in the prophylaxis of migraine. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000;38:430–435.
- Lipton RB, Gobel H, Einhaupl KM, et al. Petasites hybridus root (butterbur) is an effective preventive treatment for migraine. Neurology. 2004;63:2240-4..
- Schapowal A, Petasites Study Group. Randomised controlled trial of butterbur and cetirizine for treating seasonal allergic rhinitis. BMJ. 324(7330):144-6.
- Carle R. Plant-based antiphlogistics and spasmolytics [translated from German]. Z Phytother. 1988;9:67–76
- Reglin F. Butterbur root—a pain reliever with wide-range application possibilities. Praxis-Telegram. 1998;1:13–14.
- Ziolo G, Samochowiec L. Study on clinical properties and mechanisms of action of Petasites in bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive bronchitis. Pharm Acta Helv. 1998;72:378–380.
- Brune K, Bickel D, Peskar BA. Gastro-protective effects by extracts of Petasites hybridus : the role of inhibition of peptido-leukotriene synthesis. Planta Medica. 1993;59:494–496.
- Jackson CM, Lee DK, Lipworth BJ. The effects of butterbur on the histamine and allergen cutaneous response. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 92(2):250-4.