I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Dermabrasion||0 people have prescribed Dermabrasion|
Dermabrasion is used to improve the appearance of the skin. It is done by removing the top layers of skin to promote the growth of new skin.
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Dermabrasion is done to help repair damaged skin. The procedure is believed to promote skin rejuvenation by stimulating the production of skin cells. Dermabrasion can be used to treat the following skin conditions:
- Benign tumors
- Chickenpox scars
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Scars resulting from accidents or disease
- Age (liver) spots
If you are planning to have dermabrasion, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Common temporary side effects:
- Flare-ups of acne or tiny cysts
- Increased color in the skin
- Increased sensitivity to sunlight
- Flare-ups of cold sores (caused by herpes simplex 1 virus) if done on the face
- Less common complications:
- Permanent scarring
- Lasting redness
- Prolonged loss of color in the skin.
Dermabrasion is not recommended for those with the following conditions:
- Active herpes or bacterial infection and sores
- Current or recent use (less than one year) of isotretinoin (Accutane)
- Skin, blood flow, or immune disorders that...