I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Dextroamphetamine and Amphetamine||0 people have prescribed Dextroamphetamine and Amphetamine|
(deks troe am FET a meen & am FET a meen)
U.S. Brand Names
Adderall XR®; Adderall®
Canadian Brand Names
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine may be habit-forming; avoid long-term use. Tell healthcare provider if you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse. May cause serious heart-related side effects. Tell healthcare provider if you have any heart disease.
• This medicine does not mix well with many medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
• Please read the medication guide.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 3 years of age.
• If you have an allergy to dextroamphetamine, amphetamine, or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Both attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and Tourette's syndrome or tics, drug abuse, glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, nervous state, overactive thyroid disease, or structure abnormalities of the heart.
• If you have taken isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine in the last 14 days. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine) must be stopped 14 days before this medicine is started. Taking the two together could cause dangerously high blood pressure.
• If you are breast-feeding.
How does it work?
• Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine stimulates the brain in adults to increase alertness.
• It has a stabilizing effect in attention deficit disorder.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine early in the day to avoid sleep problems.
• Take Adderall XR™ in the morning.
• Swallow Adderall XR™ whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• You may sprinkle contents of capsule on soft food or liquid. Do not chew.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• If you are diabetic, you will need to monitor blood sugars closely.
• Check blood pressure and heart rate regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Dry mouth may cause an increase in cavities. Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 11:53:27.0
Modified: 2010-05-06 15:27:52.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.