(dil TYE a zem)
Created: 2006-10-13 12:00:50.0
Modified: 2010-03-25 11:39:51.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Diltiaz CD®; Apo-Diltiaz SR®; Apo-Diltiaz TZ®; Apo-Diltiaz®; Apo-Diltiaz® Injectable; Cardizem® CD; Diltiazem HCl ER®; Diltiazem Hydrochloride Injection; Diltiazem TZ; Gen-Diltiazem; Gen-Diltiazem CD; Gen-Diltiazem SR; Med-Diltiazem; Novo-Diltazem; Novo-Diltazem-CD; Novo-Diltiazem HCl ER; Nu-Diltiaz; Nu-Diltiaz-CD; ratio-Diltiazem CD; Sandoz-Diltiazem CD; Sandoz-Diltiazem T; Tiazac®; Tiazac® XC
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Diltiazem relaxes blood vessels, lowering blood pressure.
How is it best taken?
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
• A liquid (suspension) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Shake well before use.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
• Take this medicine 30 minutes before meals and at bedtime.
• Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• Dilacor XR®, Dilt-XR, and Diltia XT®: Take this medicine on an empty stomach. Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
• Cardizem® CD, Cardizem® LA, Cartia XT®, and Dilt-CD: Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Tiazac® and Taztia XT®: You may sprinkle contents of capsule on soft food or liquid. Do not chew.
• This medicine is given into a vein constantly for a period of time.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect capsules and tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Store liquid (suspension) at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused portion after 2 months.
• Protect liquid (suspension) from light.
• The injection will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
Mexican Brand Names
Angiotrofin; Angiotrofin Retard; Dasav; Tilazem
Antiarrhythmic Agent, Class IV; Calcium Channel Blocker; Calcium Channel Blocker, Nondihydropyridine
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to diltiazem or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Low blood pressure, poor electrical activity in the heart without a working pacemaker, or severely weakened heart.
U.S. Brand Names
Cardizem®; Cardizem® CD; Cardizem® LA; Cartia XT®; Dilacor XR®; Dilt-CD; Dilt-XR; Diltia XT®; Diltzac; Taztia XT®; Tiazac®
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood pressure and heart rate regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.