I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Dong Quai||0 people have prescribed Dong Quai|
Effect of Dong Quai on Infertility
Dong quai is well known for its ability to regulate the female reproductive system. It has antispasmodic properties. Coumarin, one of dong quai's components, relaxes the smooth muscles of the uterus...
Read more about Infertility and Dong Quai.
What Is Dong Quai Used for Today?
Dong quai is often recommended as a treatment for menstrual cramps , premenstrual syndrome (PMS) , and other problems related to menstruation, as well as hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms . However, the scientific evidence supporting these uses is very weak, consisting primarily of test tube and animal studies , as well as a few open studies of people. 1 2 3 4 Only double-blind, placebo-controlled studies can actually show a treatment effective, and a 24-week study that compared the effects of dong quai against a placebo in 71 postmenopausal women found no benefit. 5 (For more information on why double-blind studies are so important, see Why Does This Database Rely on Double-blind Studies? )
- Chang HM, But PP, eds. Pharmacology and Applications of Chinese Materia Medica. Vol 1. Singapore: World Scientific; 1986.
- Igarashi M. Efficacy of Kampo medicines in obstetrical and gynecological diseases. In: Satellite Meeting on Kampo (Japanese Herbal) Medicines (1987: Aukland, N.Z.). Recent Advances in the Pharmacology of Kampo (Japanese Herbal) Medicines: Proceedings of the Satellite Meeting on Kampo (Japanese Herbal) Medicines of the 10th International Congress of Pharmacology, Auckland, New Zealand, Aug. 19-21, 1987. New York, NY: Excerpta Medica; 1987:141-143.
- Bensky D, Gamble A, Kaptchuk TJ. Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica. Seattle, WA: Eastland Press; 1986.
- Hsu HY. Oriental Materia Medica: A Concise Guide. Long Beach, CA: Oriental Healing Arts Institute; 1986:540-542
- Hirata JD, Swiersz LM, Zell B, Small R, Ettinger B. Does dong quai have estrogenic effects in postmenopausal women? A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Fertil Steril. 68(6):981-6.