2 people have experienced Esophagectomy. Have you?
I'm a professional and
|2 people have tried Esophagectomy||0 people have prescribed Esophagectomy|
This is surgery to remove the esophagus. The esophagus is the tube that runs from the mouth to the stomach.
Esophagectomy may be used to treat:
- Esophageal cancer
- Benign tumors and cysts of the esophagus
- Other esophageal abnormalities
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
If you are planning to have esophagectomy, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Blood clots
- Soreness in throat
- Adverse reaction to the anesthesia
- Leaks from the internal suture line
- Heart attack
Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
- Pre-existing heart or lung conditions
- Advanced age
- Excessive alcohol intake
Be sure to discuss these risks with your doctor before the procedure.
Call Your Doctor
After you leave the hospital, call your doctor if any of the following occurs:
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any...