I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Gastrostomy: Permanent and Temporary||1 person has prescribed Gastrostomy: Permanent and Temporary|
This is surgery to place a tube through the abdomen and into the stomach. Gastrostomy can be done as:
- Endoscopic procedure: a more common and less invasive procedure called percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)
- Open procedure: a long incision is made in the abdomen
A gastrostomy tube provides an alternative feeding site. It may be needed to:
- Feed a person who has a hard time sucking or swallowing
- Drain the stomach of acid and fluids that have built up
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
If you are planning to have gastrostomy, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Aspiration—accidental sucking into the airways of fluid, food, or any foreign material
- Damage to other organs
- Anesthesia-related problems
- Skin irritation around the tube
- Dislodging or malfunction of the tube
Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
- Obesity or diabetes
- Smoking, alcohol abuse , or drug use
- Use of certain prescription medicines
- Prior abdominal surgeries
- Advanced age
Be sure to discuss these risks with your doctor before the surgery.
Call Your Doctor
After you leave the hospital, contact your doctor if any of...