(lyse IN oh pril)
Created: 2005-04-07 16:55:01.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:23:36.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Lisinopril®; CO Lisinopril; Dom-Lisinopril; Mint-Lisinopril; Mylan-Lisinopril; Novo-Lisinopril; PHL-Lisinopril; PMS-Lisinopril; Prinivil®; PRO-Lisinopril; RAN™-Lisinopril; ratio-Lisinopril; Riva-Lisinopril; Sandoz-Lisinopril; Zestril®; ZYM-Lisinopril
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Lisinopril lowers blood pressure by decreasing production of a strong chemical in the body.
• It helps the heart work more effectively.
• It helps maintain kidney function in the diabetic.
• It improves blood flow.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
• A liquid (suspension) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Shake well before use.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Store liquid (suspension) at room temperature. Throw away any unused portion after 1 month.
Mexican Brand Names
Alfaken; Dosteril; Fersivag; Pesatril; Prinivil; Zestril
Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitor
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to lisinopril or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Blockage in the kidneys' arteries or hyperaldosteronism.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
U.S. Brand Names
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant. Use during pregnancy can cause birth defects. If you become pregnant or plan on getting pregnant while taking this medicine, call healthcare provider right away.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood pressure regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Check blood work (potassium, kidney function). Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.