I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Low Glycemic Index Diets||0 people have prescribed Low Glycemic Index Diets|
Other Uses of Low Glycemic Index Diet
Weak evidence hints that a low glycemic index diet might help prevent macular degeneration . 1 Although there are theoretical reasons to believe that use of white sugar and other high glycemic index foods might promote colon cancer, a large observational study failed to find any association between colon cancer rates and diets high in sugar, carbohydrates, or GL. 2 It has been proposed that low-GI foods may enhance sports performance . One study involving a simulated 64-km bicycle race found no performance differences between use of honey (low GI) or dextrose (high GI) as a carbohydrate source. 3 However, another study did find benefit with a low-GI snack prior to endurance exercise. 4 One interesting, though far from definitive, study compared a low glycemic load diet against a high carbohydrate diet in people with acne , and found evidence that the low glycemic load diet reduced acne symptoms. 5
- Chiu CJ, Hubbard LD, Armstrong J, Rogers G, Jacques PF, Chylack LT Jr, Hankinson SE, Willett WC, Taylor A. Dietary glycemic index and carbohydrate in relation to early age-related macular degeneration. Am J Clin Nutr. 83(4):880-6.
- Terry PD, Jain M, Miller AB, Howe GR, Rohan TE. Glycemic load, carbohydrate intake, and risk of colorectal cancer in women: a prospective cohort study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 95(12):914-6.
- Earnest CP, Lancaster SL, Rasmussen CJ, Kerksick CM, Lucia A, Greenwood MC, Almada AL, Cowan PA, Kreider RB. Low vs. high glycemic index carbohydrate gel ingestion during simulated 64-km cycling time trial performance. J Strength Cond Res. 18(3):466-72.
- Wu CL, Williams C. A low glycemic index meal before exercise improves endurance running capacity in men. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006;16:510-527.
- Smith RN, Mann NJ, Braue A, Mäkeläinen H, Varigos GA. A low-glycemic-load diet improves symptoms in acne vulgaris patients: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 86(1):107-15.