I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Lysine||0 people have prescribed Lysine|
Effect of Lysine on Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Though the mechanism of action is unknown, Lysine when used in combination with Arginine might be useful for helping treat anxiety.
Read more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Lysine.
Effect of Lysine on Cold Sores (Herpes Simplex Type 1)
Test tube research suggests that lysine fights the herpes simplex virus by blocking arginine, an amino acid the virus needs in order to replicate.7
Read more about Cold Sores (Herpes Simplex Type 1) and L-Lysine.
Effect of Lysine on Panic Disorder
Some small studies suggest that regularuse of lysine supplements can help prevent flareups of cold sores and genital herpes, although other studies have not found benefit. 1 2 3 4 5 Lysine has also been proposed as a treatment to take at the onsetof a flareup, but at least one study failed to find it effective for this purpose. 6 Both cold sores and genital herpes are caused by a virus called herpes simplex. After you are first infected, this virus hides in certain nerve cells and reemerges under times of stress . Test tube research suggests that lysine fights this virus by blocking arginine , an amino acid the virus needs in order to replicate. 7 For this reason, lysine might be most effective when used in conjunction with a low-arginine diet. However, this widely stated claim has not been proven. (Note that if this is true, it would be essential to avoid taking arginine supplements if you have herpes.)
- Flodin NW. The metabolic roles, pharmacology, and toxicology of lysine. J Am Coll Nutr. 16(1):7-21.
- Griffith RS, Walsh DE, Myrmel KH, Thompson RW, Behforooz A. Success of L-lysine therapy in frequently recurrent herpes simplex infection. Treatment and prophylaxis. Dermatologica. 175(4):183-90.
- McCune MA, Perry HO, Muller SA, O'Fallon WM. Treatment of recurrent herpes simplex infections with L-lysine monohydrochloride. Cutis. 34(4):366-73.
- Simon CA, Van Melle GD, Ramelet AA. Failure of lysine in frequently recurrent herpes simplex infection [letter]. Arch Dermatol. 1985;121:167-168.
- DiGiovanna JJ, Blank H. Failure of lysine in frequently recurrent herpes simplex infection. Treatment and prophylaxis. Arch Dermatol. 120(1):48-51.
- Milman N, Scheibel J, Jessen O. Failure of lysine treatment in recurrent herpes simplex labialis [letter]. Lancet. 1978;2:942.
- Griffith RS, DeLong DC, Nelson JD. Relation of arginine-lysine antagonism to herpes simplex growth in tissue culture. Chemotherapy. 27(3):209-13.