I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Naproxen||0 people have prescribed Naproxen|
(na PROKS en)
U.S. Brand Names
Aleve® [OTC]; Anaprox®; Anaprox® DS; EC-Naprosyn®; Mediproxen [OTC]; Midol® Extended Relief [OTC]; Naprelan®; Naprosyn®; Pamprin® Maximum Strength All Day Relief [OTC]
Canadian Brand Names
Anaprox®; Anaprox® DS; Apo-Napro-Na DS®; Apo-Napro-Na®; Apo-Naproxen EC®; Apo-Naproxen SR®; Apo-Naproxen®; Gen-Naproxen EC; Mylan-Naproxen EC; Naprosyn®; Naxen®; Naxen® EC; Novo-Naproc EC; Novo-Naprox; Novo-Naprox Sodium; Novo-Naprox Sodium DS; Novo-Naprox SR; Nu-Naprox; PMS-Naproxen EC; PRO-Naproxen EC; Riva-Naproxen
Mexican Brand Names
Naprodil; Naxen; Novaxen
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID), Oral
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine may increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, and high blood pressure. This has been observed with long-term use or at critical times (right after heart surgery). Use caution if you have risk factors for heart disease (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, diabetes, cigarette smoking, male older than 40 years of age, other family members with early heart disease, postmenopausal female).
• Do not use this medicine right before or after heart bypass surgery.
• This medicine may increase the risk of ulcer or bleeding from the stomach or intestines. Talk with healthcare provider.
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
• Please read the medication guide.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to naproxen or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you are more than 24 weeks pregnant.
How does it work?
• Naproxen blocks production and release of chemicals that cause pain and inflammation.
• It reduces fever by adjusting the body's thermostat in the brain.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine with food to prevent stomach upset.
• Long-acting products: Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• A liquid (suspension) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Shake well before use.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect caplets, gelcaps, and tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 14:26:21.0
Modified: 2010-03-22 14:12:33.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.