I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Green-Lipped Mussel||0 people have prescribed Green-Lipped Mussel|
Effect of Green-Lipped Mussel on Osteoarthritis
Inflammation plays a relatively less important role in osteoarthritis than in rheumatoid arthritis. However, green-lipped mussel has been tried for both conditions, with, at present, inconclusive results.
The green-lipped mussel, a common appetizer in sushi restaurants, contains healthy fats in the omega-3 family. Like fish oil, another source of omega-3 fatty acids, green-lipped mussel has shown some promise for reducing inflammation.1 Inflammation is the cause of symptoms in numerous illnesses, ranging from arthritis to asthma. On this basis green-lipped mussel has been promoted as a treatment for these conditions. However, the evidence that it provides any meaningful benefits remains highly preliminary.
Read more details about Green-Lipped Mussel.
Research Evidence on Green-Lipped Mussel
Incomplete and inconsistent evidence from human and animal studies only weakly suggests that green-lipped mussel might alleviate osteoarthritis symptoms.82-84,130-136,167
How to Use Green-Lipped Mussel
A typical dose of green-lipped mussel is about 200 mg per day of the lipid extract or 1,000 mg per day of the freeze-dried powder.
In studies, green-lipped mussel has not caused much in the way of side effects other than occasional mild digestive distress. People with shellfish allergies, however, should avoid green-lipped mussel.
Unlike oysters, green-lipped mussel does not appear to contain heavy metals.15
- Halpern GM. Anti-inflammatory effects of a stabilized lipid extract of Perna canaliculus (Lyprinol). AllergImmunol (Pairs). 2000;32:272–8.
- Rojas de Astudillo L, Chang Yen I, Agard J, et al. Heavy metals in green mussel ( Perna viridis) and oysters ( Crassostrea sp.) from Trinidad and Venezuela. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2002;42:410–5.
- Bui LM, Pawlowski K, Bierer TL. The influence of green-lipped mussel powder ( Perna canaliculus) on alleviating arthritic signs in dogs [abstract]. FASEB J. 2000;14:A218.
- Bui LM, Pawlowski K, Bierer TL. A semi-moist treat containing green-lipped mussel ( Perna canaliculus) can help to alleviate arthritic signs in dogs [abstract]. FASEB J. 2000;14:A748.
- Bui LM, Pawlowski K, Bierer TL. Reduction of arthritic signs in dogs fed a mainmeal dry diet containing green-lipped mussel ( Perna canaliculus) [abstract]. FASEB J. 2000;14:A748.
- Cho SH, Jung YB, Seong SC, et al. Clinical efficacy and safety of Lyprinol, a patented extract from New Zealand green-lipped mussel ( Perna canaliculus) in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip and knee: a multicenter 2-month clinical trial. Allerg Immunol (Paris). 2003;35:212-216.
- Audeval B, Bouchacourt P. Etude controle en double aveugle contra placebo de l’extrait de moule Perna canaliculus dans les gonarthrose. Gaz Med Fr. 1986;38:111-116.
- Caughey DE, Grigor RR, Caughey EB, et al. Perna canaliculus in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Eur J Rheumatol Inflamm. 1983;6:197-200.
- Gibson RG, Gibson SL, Conway V, et al. Perna canaliculus in the treatment of arthritis. Practitioner. 1980;224:955-960.
- Gibson RG, Gibson SL. Green-lipped mussel extract in arthritis [letter]. Lancet. 1981;1:439.
- Gibson SLM, Gibson RG. The treatment of arthritis with a lipid extract of Perna canaliculus: a randomized trial. Comp Ther Med. 1998;6:122-6.
- Bui LM, Bierer TL. Influence of green lipped mussels ( Perna canaliculus) in alleviating signs of arthritis in dogs. Vet Ther. 2003;4:397-407.
- Moreau M, Dupuis J, Bonneau NH, Lecuyer M. Links Clinical evaluation of a powder of quality elk velvet antler for the treatment of osteoarthrosis in dogs. Can Vet J. 2004;45:133-139.
FoundHealth has 28 treatments for Osteoarthritis!
See all Osteoarthritis Treatment options and start building your care plan today.