I'm a professional and
|2 people have tried Penile Prosthesis Insertion||0 people have prescribed Penile Prosthesis Insertion|
With this procedure, a device is implanted into the penis. This device can produce an erection-like state. It enables a man to have sexual intercourse.
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
A penile prosthesis insertion is for men wanting to obtain an erection, including those who have:
- Not responded to other treatment options (eg, pills, suppositories, vacuum devices, injections)
- Certain diseases (eg, diabetes , vascular disease)
- Physical injuries (eg, spinal cord injury)
- Certain surgeries that have made getting an erection impossible
This procedure has a success rate of about 90%-95% five years after insertion. Most men rate the erection as shorter than their natural one. A penile prosthesis does not change the sensation on the skin of the penis or the ability to reach orgasm or ejaculate.
Complications are rare, but no procedure is completely free of risk. If you are planning to have penile prosthesis insertion, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Scar tissue formation
- Erosion (tissue around the implant may break down)
- Mechanical failure
Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
- Smoking , alcoholism
- Poor overall health
- Poor nutrition
- Use of certain drugs
- Bladder disease requiring a catheter
- Bleeding disorders
Be sure to discuss these risks with your doctor before the procedure.
Call Your Doctor
After you leave the hospital, contact your doctor if any of the following...