Phenylephrine (Nasal) Overview
(fen il EF rin)
Created: 2009-10-18 11:47:00.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:26:28.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Phenylephrine shrinks swollen nasal tissue and opens up passages.
How is it best taken?
• The nasal spray is for the nose only.
• Blow your nose before use.
• Do not use for more than 3 days in a row.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to phenylephrine or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Fast heartbeat or high blood pressure.
U.S. Brand Names
4 Way® Fast Acting [OTC]; 4 Way® Menthol [OTC]; Little Noses® Decongestant [OTC]; Neo-Synephrine® Extra Strength [OTC]; Neo-Synephrine® Mild [OTC]; Neo-Synephrine® Regular Strength [OTC]; Rhinall [OTC]; Vicks® Sinex® Nasal Spray [OTC] [DSC]; Vicks® Sinex® UltraFine Mist [OTC] [DSC]; Vicks® Sinex® VapoSpray 4-Hour™ Decongestant [OTC]
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Use a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not use a double dose or extra doses.
• Many times this medicine is used on an as needed basis.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with many medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?