I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Positron Emission Tomography||0 people have prescribed Positron Emission Tomography|
This test makes images that show activity in body tissues. A substance that gives off a tiny amount of radiation is put into your body. This substance goes to the part of you body that is most active. A machine can then detect where that substance is. PET can be done for many body parts, including:
- Whole body
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
If you are allergic to the radioactive substance given for a PET scan, you may be at risk for complications. Talk to your doctor.
A PET scan may be done for a number of reasons, including:
- Looking for tumors or assessing tumor level of activity after treatment
- Assessing causes of memory disorders
- Finding the cause of seizures and helping to find treatments
- Assessing brain metabolism in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome
- Looking for heart disease
Call Your Doctor
Call your doctor if you have any unusual symptoms, like a rash, itching, or difficulty breathing. These symptoms may mean that you are having an allergic reaction to the radioactive substance.