(proe PRAN oh lole)
Created: 2006-10-13 15:21:07.0
Modified: 2010-03-25 12:22:54.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Propranolol®; Dom-Propranolol; Inderal®; Inderal® LA; Novo-Pranol; Nu-Propranolol; PMS-Propranolol; Propranolol Hydrochloride Injection, USP
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Propranolol blocks chemicals that stimulate the body.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine at a similar time of day.
• Take tablet on an empty stomach. Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
• Take capsule with or without food but be consistent. Always take with food or always take on an empty stomach.
• Long-acting products: Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• A liquid (concentrate, solution) is available if you cannot swallow pills.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
• Mix concentrate with liquid or soft food.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect capsules and tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
Mexican Brand Names
Colliprol; Inderalici; Pranidol
Antiarrhythmic Agent, Class II; Beta-Adrenergic Blocker, Nonselective
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to propranolol or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Asthma, Raynaud's disease, severe lung disease, severely weakened heart, slow heartbeat without a working pacemaker, or water in the lungs.
• If you are more than 12 weeks pregnant.
U.S. Brand Names
Inderal® [DSC]; Inderal® LA; InnoPran XL®
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine. To avoid side effects, you will want to slowly stop it.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood pressure and heart rate regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.