I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe)||0 people have prescribed S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe)|
A substantial amount of evidence suggests that SAMe can be an effective treatment for osteoarthritis , the "wear and tear" type of arthritis that many people develop as they get older. 1 A moderate amount of evidence suggests that SAMe might be helpful for depression . 2 Weak and inconsistent evidence hints that SAMe might be helpful for a variety of liver conditions such as cirrhosis , chronic viral hepatitis , pregnancy-related jaundice , and Gilbert's syndrome. 3 SAMe may help the painful muscle condition known as fibromyalgia . 4 SAMe has undergone some investigation as a possible supportive treatment for Parkinson's disease . One study suggests that it may reduce the depression so commonly associated with the disease. 5 In addition, the drug levodopa , used for Parkinson's disease, depletes the body of SAMe. 6 This suggests that taking extra SAMe might be helpful. However, it is also possible that SAMe could interfere with the effect of levodopa, requiring an increase in dosage.
Highly preliminary evidence suggests that SAMe can protect the stomach against damage caused by alcohol. 7
- di Padova C. S-adenosylmethionine in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Review of the clinical studies. Am J Med. 83(5A):60-5.
- Bressa GM. S-adenosyl-l-methionine (SAMe) as antidepressant: meta-analysis of clinical studies. Acta Neurol Scand Suppl. 154():7-14.
- Mato JM, Cámara J, Fernández de Paz J, Caballería L, Coll S, Caballero A, García-Buey L, Beltrán J, Benita V, Caballería J, Solà R, Moreno-Otero R, Barrao F, Martín-Duce A, Correa JA, Parés A, Barrao E, García-Magaz I, Puerta JL, Moreno J, Boissard G, Ortiz P, Rodés J. S-adenosylmethionine in alcoholic liver cirrhosis: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter clinical trial. J Hepatol. 30(6):1081-9.
- Jacobsen S, Danneskiold-Samsøe B, Andersen RB. Oral S-adenosylmethionine in primary fibromyalgia. Double-blind clinical evaluation. Scand J Rheumatol. 20(4):294-302.
- Carrieri PB, Indaco A, Gentile S, et al. S-adenosylmethionine treatment of depression in patients with Parkinson's disease. A double-blind, crossover study versus placebo. Curr Ther Res. 1990;48:154-160.
- Liu X, Lamango N, Charlton C. L-dopa depletes S-adenosylmethionine and increases S-adenosyl homocysteine: Relationship to the wearing-off effects [abstract]. Soc Neurosci Abstracts. 1998;24:1469.
- Laudanno OM, Finkelstein D, Capdepon E. Complete cytoprotective action on the gastroduodenal mucosa induced by SAMe against damage provoked by ethanol in man. Panminerva Med. 29(1):75-8.