Sinusitis and Beta-lactam
Read more about Beta-lactam.
Effect of Beta-lactam on Sinusitis
Common names for Beta-lactam include:
- Amoxicillin (Amoxil, Polymox, Trimox, Wymox)
- Amoxicillin-Clavulanate (Augmentin)
- Cephalexin (Keflex)
- Cefadroxil (Duricef, Ultracef)
- Cefaclor (Ceclor)
- Cefuroxime (Ceftin)
- Cefpodoxime (Vantin)
- Loracarbef (Lorabid)
- Cefditoren (Spectracef)
- Cefixime (Suprax)
- Ceftibuten (Cedex)
- Meropenem (Merrem)
- Imipenem/cilastatin (Primaxin)
Side Effects and Warnings
Possible side effects include:
- Allergic reactions, such as rash, itchy skin, difficulty breathing—Get help if any of these occurs. For breathing difficulties, get emergency care.
- Diarrhea —This may be severe; in which case, call your doctor.
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach upset
- Decreased effectiveness of oral contraceptives—Use another form of contraception while you are taking these medications.
- Bleeding problems—Check with your doctor if you notice easy bruising, increased bleeding, or spontaneous bleeding.