Sleep Apnea and Omeprazole
Effect of Omeprazole on Sleep Apnea
Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor medication that has been used to reduce the number of apnea attacks. Omeprazole prevents symptoms and damage to the gastrointestinal tract caused by stomach acid or infection, which can also cause sleep apnea. You should only be prescribed Omeprazole if you are suffering from symptoms like heartburn and acid reflux. Additionally, symptoms of many of conditions like acid reflux can be diminished when changes are made to diet and other lifestyle factors.
U.S. Brand Names
- Prilosec OTC™ [OTC]
Canadian Brand Names
- Losec MUPS®
- PMS-Omeprazole DR
Mexican Brand Names
Side Effects and Warnings
#What are the precautions when taking this medicine?
• If you have liver disease, talk with healthcare provider.
• Use caution if you have risk factors for osteoporosis (alcohol use, cigarette smoking, other family members with osteoporosis, taking medicines to treat seizures, taking steroids).
• Check medicines with healthcare provider. This medicine may not mix well with other medicines.
• Avoid alcohol (includes wine, beer, and liquor).
• Tell healthcare provider if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are breast-feeding.
#What are some possible side effects of this medicine?
• Nausea or vomiting. Small frequent meals, frequent mouth care, sucking hard, sugar-free candy, or chewing sugar-free gum may help.
• Hip, spine, or wrist fractures may rarely occur.
#Reasons to call healthcare provider immediately
• If you suspect an overdose, call your local poison control center or emergency department immediately.
• Signs of a life-threatening reaction. These include wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; fits; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
• Severe dizziness or passing out.
• Severe belly pain.
• Severe diarrhea.
• Severe nausea or vomiting.
• Unusual bruising or bleeding.
• Severe bone pain.
• Any rash.
• No improvement in condition or feeling worse.
Omeprazole is also used to prevent or treat:
- gastrointestinal ulcers caused by infection.
- gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- syndromes caused by huge amounts of stomach acid.
- ulcers of the esophagus (swallowing tube).