Sodium Chloride Overview
(SOW dee um KLOR ide)
Created: 2008-07-10 13:10:18.0
Modified: 2010-03-15 13:37:22.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
How does it work?
• Sodium chloride is a salt supplement.
• It restores salt and water losses.
• It can pull extra fluid out of a swollen area.
How is it best taken?
• Take tablets with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• A liquid is available if you cannot swallow pills.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
• This medicine is given as a shot into a vein.
• This medicine is given as a shot into a vein over a period of time.
• For inhaling (puffing) only by an inhaler or as a liquid (solution) through a special machine (nebulizer) into the lungs.
• Do not take this medicine by mouth. For the nose only. Keep out of mouth and eyes (may burn).
• Blow your nose before use.
• Wash hands before and after use.
• Clean affected area before use. Make sure to dry well.
All eye forms:
• For the eye only.
• Wash hands before and after use.
• Take out contact lenses before using medicine. Lenses can be replaced 15 minutes after medicine is given. Do not put contacts back in if eyes are irritated or infected.
• Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
• Tilt head back and drop medicine into eye.
• Shake well before use.
• Gently press the skin under the lower eyelid and pull the lower eyelid away from the eye slightly until you can see a small pouch.
• Insert one drop. Wait 1 minute between drops.
• After using medicine, keep your eyes closed. Apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 3-5 minutes. This keeps the medicine in your eye.
• Separate each eye medicine by 5 minutes.
• Gently pull down the lower lid and squeeze in the prescribed amount.
• Release the lower eyelid and keep eyes closed for 1-2 minutes.
• Separate each eye medicine by 10 minutes.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• The injection will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
Mexican Brand Names
Electrolyte Supplement, Parenteral; Genitourinary Irrigant; Irrigant; Lubricant, Ocular; Sodium Salt
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to sodium chloride or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
Oral and injection:
• If you have high sodium levels or swelling.
• If you are on a low-salt or salt-free diet.
U.S. Brand Names
4-Way® Saline Moisturizing Mist [OTC]; Altachlore [OTC]; Altamist [OTC]; Ayr® Allergy Sinus [OTC]; Ayr® Baby Saline [OTC]; Ayr® Saline No-Drip [OTC]; Ayr® Saline [OTC]; Breathe Free® [OTC]; Deep Sea [OTC]; Entsol® [OTC]; Humist® for Kids [OTC]; Humist® [OTC]; Hyper-Sal™; Little Noses® Saline [OTC]; Little Noses® Stuffy Nose Kit [OTC]; Muro 128® [OTC]; Mycinaire™ [OTC] [DSC]; Na-Zone® [OTC]; Nasal Moist® Saline [OTC]; Nasal Spray [OTC]; N?Sal™ [OTC]; Ocean® for Kids [OTC]; Ocean® [OTC]; Pretz® [OTC]; Saline Mist [OTC]; SalineX® [OTC] [DSC]; Simply Saline® Baby [OTC]; Simply Saline® Nasal Moist® [OTC]; Simply Saline® [OTC]; Syrex; Wound Wash Saline™ [OTC]
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Follow up with healthcare provider.