Spinal Fusion Usage
Effect of Spinal Fusion on Low Back Pain and Sciatica
Spinal fusion is a procedure that joins two bones (vertebrae) in the spinal column together to eliminate pain caused by movement. This, and any other surgery, is a major procedure and should only be...
Read more about Low Back Pain and Sciatica and Spinal Fusion.
Reasons for Procedure
To treat persistent pain and disability caused by:
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the canal the spinal cord runs through)
- Spinal injury
- Spondylolisthesis (vertebra is out of line with the others)
- Scoliosis (abnormal curve in the spine)
- Weak or unstable spine, usually due to infection or tumors
- Herniated disk
Spinal fusion may be done if the treatments below do not relieve pain and disability:
- Pain medicines
- Muscle relaxants
- Physical therapy
- Injection of drugs to relieve pain and swelling
- Behavior change therapy
Imaging tests must also show a problem that can be fixed with this procedure.