I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Tooth Extraction||0 people have prescribed Tooth Extraction|
This is a procedure to remove a tooth.
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
While dental techniques can save many teeth, a tooth may need to be removed if it:
- Is too badly damaged or decayed to be saved by a root canal
- Has an infected nerve
- Is affecting normal tooth growth
- Is loose from advanced gum disease
- Has a loss of supporting bone, gums, or tissue
Complications are rare, but no procedure is completely free of risk. If you are planning to have a tooth extracted, your dentist will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Nerve damage
Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
- Poor nutrition
- Poor overall health
- Use of some prescription and non-prescription drugs—Talk to your dentist about any medicine you are taking.
Be sure to discuss these risks with your dentist before the procedure.