I'm a professional and
|2 people have tried Endometrial Biopsy||0 people have prescribed Endometrial Biopsy|
Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.
Some reasons for an endometrial biopsy include:
- Evaluate the cause of bleeding in postmenopausal women
- Evaluate heavy menstrual bleeding or bleeding between menstrual periods
- Obtain a tissue sample to test for cancer or precancerous conditions
- Monitor the uterine lining in women on estrogen replacement therapy
- Help evaluate the cause of infertility or repeated miscarriages
If you are planning to have an endometrial biopsy, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Damage to the uterus (rare)
Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
Be sure to discuss these risks with your doctor before the procedure. If you are pregnant, the test cannot be done.
Call Your Doctor
After arriving home, contact your doctor if any of the following occurs:
- Excessive bleeding (more than your normal menstrual period or saturating a pad within one hour)
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Severe pain
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge ...