I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Acetaminophen||0 people have prescribed Acetaminophen|
(a seet a MIN oh fen)
U.S. Brand Names
Acephen™ [OTC]; APAP 500 [OTC]; Apra [OTC] [DSC]; Aspirin Free Anacin® Extra Strength [OTC]; Cetafen® Extra [OTC]; Cetafen® [OTC]; Excedrin® Tension Headache [OTC]; FeverALL® [OTC]; Genapap™ Extra Strength [OTC] [DSC]; Genapap™ Infant [OTC] [DSC]; Genapap™ [OTC] [DSC]; Genebs Extra Strength [OTC]; Genebs [OTC] [DSC]; Infantaire [OTC]; Little Fevers™ [OTC]; Mapap Children's [OTC]; Mapap Extra Strength [OTC]; Mapap Infants [OTC]; Mapap Jr. Strength [OTC]; Mapap [OTC]; Nortemp Children's [OTC]; Pain Eze [OTC]; Silapap Children's [OTC]; Silapap Infant's [OTC]; Tycolene Maximum Strength [OTC]; Tycolene [OTC] [DSC]; Tylenol® 8 Hour [OTC]; Tylenol® Arthritis Pain Extended Relief [OTC]; Tylenol® Children's Meltaways [OTC]; Tylenol® Children's [OTC]; Tylenol® Extra Strength [OTC]; Tylenol® Infant's Concentrated [OTC]; Tylenol® Jr. Meltaways [OTC]; Tylenol® [OTC]; Valorin Extra [OTC]; Valorin [OTC]
Canadian Brand Names
Abenol®; Apo-Acetaminophen®; Atasol®; Novo-Gesic; Pediatrix; Tempra®; Tylenol®
Mexican Brand Names
Adinol; Analphen; Dismifen; Doluvital ; Dolviran; Filanc; Mejoralito Junior; Mejoralito Pediátrico; Nordinet Infantil; Pharmacen-M; Sedalito; Sinedol; Tempra; Tylenol; Tylex; XL-Dol Infantil
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to acetaminophen or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
How does it work?
• Acetaminophen blocks production and release of chemicals that cause pain.
• It reduces fever by adjusting the body's thermostat in the brain.
How is it best taken?
• Do not take more than prescribed amount. Liver damage can occur.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Eat regularly. May decrease risk of liver damage.
• Long-acting products: Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• You may sprinkle contents of capsule on soft food or liquid. Do not chew.
• A liquid (elixir, suspension, solution, syrup) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Shake suspension well before use.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
• Use suppository rectally.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• If you are taking a blood thinner, check blood work (prothrombin time/INR). Talk with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect capsules and tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Do not freeze suppositories.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2005-04-07 16:14:51.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:27:55.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.