2 people have experienced Andrographis. Have you?
I'm a professional and
|2 people have tried Andrographis||0 people have prescribed Andrographis|
Effect of Andrographis on Viral Upper Respiratory Infections (Colds and Influenza)
Although we don't know how andrographis might work for colds and flu, some evidence suggests that it might stimulate immunity.37 Interestingly, the ingredient of andrographis used for...
Effect of Andrographis on Lyme Disease
Andrographis is considered to be one of the main herbs that can help lower, or even eliminate, lyme spirochete loads in the body, support the innate immune function to help respond to the borrelia...
Read more about Lyme Disease and Andrographis.
What Is Andrographis Used for Today?
Over the last decade, a proprietary extract of andrographis (currently sold in combination with eleutherococcus) has become popular in Scandinavia as a treatment for colds . It is beginning to become available in the United States as well. Reasonably good evidence tells us that either form of this extract can reduce the severity of cold symptoms. It may also help prevent colds.
Although we don't know how andrographis might work for colds, preliminary evidence suggests that it might stimulate immunity, 1 potentially making it useful for general immune support .
Andrographis combined with eleutherococcus , licorice , and schisandra has shown promise for a genetic disease called familial Mediterranean fever. 2 3 Preliminary studies in animals weakly suggest that andrographis may offer benefits for preventing heart disease . 4 In addition, highly preliminary studies suggest that andrographis may help protect the liver from toxic injury, perhaps more successfully than the more famous liver-protective herb milk thistle . 5 It also appears to stimulate gallbladder contraction. 6 Andrographis does not appear to have any antibacterial effects. 7
- Puri A, Saxena R, Saxena RP, et al. Immunostimulant agents from Andrographis paniculata. J Nat Prod. 1993;56:995-999.
- Panossian A, Hambartsumyan M, Panosyan L, Abrahamyan H, Mamikonyan G, Gabrielyan E, Amaryan G, Astvatsatryan V, Wikman G. Plasma nitric oxide level in familial Mediterranean fever and its modulations by Immuno-Guard. Nitric Oxide. 9(2):103-10.
- Amaryan G, Astvatsatryan V, Gabrielyan E, Panossian A, Panosyan V, Wikman G. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, pilot clinical trial of ImmunoGuard--a standardized fixed combination of Andrographis paniculata Nees, with Eleutherococcus senticosus Maxim, Schizandra chinensis Bail. and Glycyrrhiza glabra L. extracts in patients with Familial Mediterranean Fever. Phytomedicine. 10(4):271-85.
- Zhao HY, Fang WY. Antithrombotic effects of Andrographis paniculata nees in preventing myocardial infarction. Chin Med J (Engl). 1991,104:770-775.
- Visen PKS, Shukla B, Patnaik GK, et al. Andrographolide protects rat hepatocytes against paracetamol-induced damage. J Ethnopharmacol. 1993;40:131-136.
- Shukla B, Visen PKS, Patnaik GK, et al. Choleretic effect of andrographolide in rats and guinea pigs. Planta Med. 1992;58:146-149.
- Leelarasamee A, Trakulsomboon S, Sittisomwong N. Undetectable anti-bacterial activity of Andrographis paniculata (Burma) wall. ex ness. J Med Assoc Thai. 1990;73:299-304.