I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Blood Transfusion||0 people have prescribed Blood Transfusion|
Reasons for Procedure
A blood transfusion should help increase your level of blood cells or other specific blood products. It may be needed if you have:
- Blood and fluid loss due to injury, surgery, or disease
- Severe anemia
- Bleeding disorders, such as von Willebrand's disease or hemophilia
- Poor immune system
- Diseases that result in destruction of blood cells or bone marrow
- Side effects of certain medicines (eg, chemotherapy for cancer)
Your doctor will review any possible complications with you. Complications from a blood transfusion are rare but may include:
- Allergic reactions due to the mismatching of blood types can occur but are very rare.
- Certain infections, such as hepatitis or HIV , can be passed on during blood transfusions, but this is very rare. Many steps and tests are done to thoroughly check donated blood for such infections before anyone is allowed to receive it.