I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Boswellia||0 people have prescribed Boswellia|
Effect of Boswellia on Low Back Pain and Sciatica
The gummy resin of the boswellia tree has a long history of use in Indian herbal medicine as a treatment for arthritis among other conditions. Low back pain and/or sciatica that results from...
Read more about Low Back Pain and Sciatica and Boswellia.
What Is Boswellia Used for Today?
Growing evidence suggests that boswellia has anti-inflammatory effects. 1 2 3 On this basis, the herb has been tried for a number of conditions in which inflammation is involved, including painful conditions such as bursitis , osteoarthritis , rheumatoid arthritis , and tendonitis . For the same reason, it has also been tried for asthma and inflammatory bowel disease ( ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s Disease ). In addition, boswellia has shown promise for the relatively rare disease of the colon in which inflammation plays a role: collagenous colitis. 4 Furthermore, extracts of boswellia have been studied as an aid to standard care for malignant glioma (a type of incurable brain tumor). 5 6 Use of boswellia appears to decrease symptoms, probably by decreasing inflammation in the brain (as well as through other mechanisms). However, this has not been proven, and individuals with cancer should not use boswellia (or any other herb or supplement) except on physician’s advice.
- Safayhi H, Sailer ER, Ammon HPT. 5-lipoxygenase inhibition by acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid (AKBA) by a novel mechanism. Phytomedicine. 1996;3:71-72.
- Singh GB, Atal CK. Pharmacology of an extract of salai guggal ex-Boswellia serrata, a new non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. Agents Actions. 18(3-4):407-12.
- Wildfeuer A, Neu IS, Safayhi H, Metzger G, Wehrmann M, Vogel U, Ammon HP. Effects of boswellic acids extracted from a herbal medicine on the biosynthesis of leukotrienes and the course of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Arzneimittelforschung. 48(6):668-74.
- Madisch A, Miehlke S, Eichele O, Mrwa J, Bethke B, Kuhlisch E, Bästlein E, Wilhelms G, Morgner A, Wigginghaus B, Stolte M. Boswellia serrata extract for the treatment of collagenous colitis. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. Int J Colorectal Dis. 22(12):1445-51.
- Janssen G, Bode U, Breu H, et al. Boswellic acids in the palliative therapy of children with progressive or relapsed brain tumors. Klin Padiatr. 2000;212:189-195.
- Winking M, Sarikaya S, Rahmanian A, Jödicke A, Böker DK. Boswellic acids inhibit glioma growth: a new treatment option? J Neurooncol. 46(2):97-103.