I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Bromelain||0 people have prescribed Bromelain|
Effect of Bromelain on Sinusitis
Bromelain is not actually a single substance, but rather a collection of protein-digesting enzymes (also called proteolytic enzymes) found in pineapple juice and in the stem of pineapple...
Read more about Sinusitis and Bromelain.
Effect of Bromelain on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
What Is Bromelain Used for Today?
Bromelain (often in combination with other proteolytic enzymes ) is used in Europe to aid in recovery from surgery and athletic injuries , as well as to treat sinusitis and phlebitis .
Other proposed uses of bromelain include chronic venous insufficiency (closely related to varicose veins ), hemorrhoids , other diseases of the veins, bruising , rheumatoid arthritis , gout , ulcerative colitis , 1 and dysmenorrhea (menstrual pain). However, there is no real evidence that bromelain is effective for these conditions. One study failed to find bromelain effective for osteoarthritis . 2 Bromelain is definitely useful as a digestive enzyme. Unlike most digestive enzymes, bromelain is active both in the acid environment of the stomach and the alkaline environment of the small intestine. 3 This may make it particularly effective as an oral digestive aid for those who do not digest food properly. 4 Bromelain may also increase the absorption of various drugs, particularly antibiotics such as amoxicillin and tetracycline. This could offer both risks and benefits. 5 6 7 Bromelain is widely available in groceries as a meat tenderizer.
- Kane S, Goldberg MJ. Use of bromelain for mild ulcerative colitis [letter]. Ann Intern Med. 2000;132:680.
- Brien S, Lewith G, Walker AF, Middleton R, Prescott P, Bundy R. Bromelain as an adjunctive treatment for moderate-to-severe osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized placebo-controlled pilot study. QJM. 99(12):841-50.
- Taussig SJ, Yokoyama MM, Chinen A, Onari K, Yamakido M. Bromelain: a proteolytic enzyme and its clinical application. A review. Hiroshima J Med Sci. 24(2-3):185-93.
- Moshal MG. Nutrizym as a pancreatic enzyme replacement. S Afr Med J. 48(35):1489-90.
- MOSS JN, FRAZIER CV, MARTIN GJ. BROMELAINS. THE PHARMACOLOGY OF THE ENZYMES. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 145():166-89.
- Tinozzi S, Venegoni A. Effect of bromelain on serum and tissue levels of amoxycillin. DrugsExp Clin Res. 1978;4:39-44.
- Luerti M, Vignali M. Influence of bromelain on penetration of antibiotics in uterus, salpinx and ovary. Drugs Exp Clin Res. 1978;4:45-48.