I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Brompheniramine and Phenylephrine||0 people have prescribed Brompheniramine and Phenylephrine|
(brome fen IR a meen & fen il EF rin)
U.S. Brand Names
B-Vex D [DSC]; BPM PE; Bromfed®; Bromfed®-PD; Brotapp PE [OTC]; C-Tan D; C-Tan D Plus; Dimaphen Cold & Allergy [OTC]; Dimetapp® Children’s Cold & Allergy [OTC]
Alpha/Beta Agonist; Histamine H1 Antagonist; Histamine H1 Antagonist, First Generation
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• Talk with healthcare provider before giving this medicine to a child. Check all of your child's medicines, including over-the-counter, with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to brompheniramine, phenylephrine, or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Asthma, glaucoma, severe heart disease, trouble urinating, ulcer disease, or uncontrolled high blood pressure.
• If you have taken isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine in the last 14 days. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine) must be stopped 14 days before this medicine is started. Taking the two together could cause dangerously high blood pressure.
• If you are breast-feeding.
How does it work?
• Brompheniramine blocks the allergic reaction by minimizing or preventing the body's reaction to the allergen.
• Phenylephrine shrinks swollen nasal tissue and opens up passages.
How is it best taken?
• This medicine is most effective if started before contact with the allergen. Take at least 1-3 hours before.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• Drink plenty of noncaffeine-containing liquid unless told to drink less liquid by healthcare provider.
• Chewable tablet: Chew or crush well. Mix crushed tablet with food. Do not swallow whole.
• Long-acting products: Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
• A liquid (suspension, syrup) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Shake suspension well before use.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Dry mouth may cause an increase in cavities. Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect capsules and tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2009-04-16 14:08:16.0
Modified: 2010-03-19 13:29:48.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.