I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Cholestyramine Resin||0 people have prescribed Cholestyramine Resin|
(koe LES teer a meen REZ in)
U.S. Brand Names
Prevalite®; Questran®; Questran® Light
Canadian Brand Names
Novo-Cholamine; Novo-Cholamine Light; PMS-Cholestyramine; Questran®; Questran® Light Sugar Free; ZYM-Cholestyramine-Light; ZYM-Cholestyramine-Regular
Mexican Brand Names
Antilipemic Agent, Bile Acid Sequestrant
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to cholestyramine or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have an intestinal blockage.
How does it work?
• Cholestyramine resin decreases production of bad cholesterol.
How is it best taken?
• This medicine can be used alone or in combination with another cholesterol-lowering agent.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
• Drink plenty of noncaffeine-containing liquid unless told to drink less liquid by healthcare provider.
• Mix with 1/2 cup of milk, fruit juice, or broth.
• Let stand for 1-2 minutes before mixing.
• May also mix with applesauce or crushed pineapple.
• Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood work (cholesterol panel). Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2005-04-07 16:27:56.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:24:25.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.