I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Chondroitin||0 people have prescribed Chondroitin|
Effect of Chondroitin on Osteoarthritis
Based on the evidence of preliminary double-blind studies, chondroitin is widely used as a treatment for osteoarthritis, the typical arthritis that many people suffer as they get older.
Read more about Osteoarthritis and Chondroitin.
Effect of Chondroitin on Low Back Pain and Sciatica
As stated above, chondroitin has been mostly studied for it's ability to treat osteoarthritis. Therefore, the implications of it as an effective treatment for general low back pain and sciatica...
Read more about Low Back Pain and Sciatica and Chondroitin.
Numerous double-blind studies have found evidence that chondroitin can relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis and possibly also slow the progression of the disease. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 However, most of these studies suffer from serious problems in design, statistical analysis, and reporting. When pooled together, the results of the three best studies failed to demonstrate benefit. 8 On balance, the evidence for chondroitin’s effectiveness for osteoarthritis is inconsistent and incomplete. 9 Chondroitin has also been proposed as a treatment for other conditions, such as atherosclerosis , interstitial cystitis , and high cholesterol , but as yet the evidence that the supplement might help is far too weak to rely upon at all. 10 One small double-blind study evaluated chondroitin for reducing muscle soreness caused by intense exercise , but failed to find benefit. 11
- Bucsi L, Poór G. Efficacy and tolerability of oral chondroitin sulfate as a symptomatic slow-acting drug for osteoarthritis (SYSADOA) in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 6 Suppl A():31-6.
- Conrozier T. Anti-arthrosis treatments: efficacy and tolerance of chondroitin sulfates (CS 4&6) [translated from French]. Presse Med. 1998;27:1862-1865.
- Uebelhart D, Thonar EJ, Delmas PD, Chantraine A, Vignon E. Effects of oral chondroitin sulfate on the progression of knee osteoarthritis: a pilot study. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 6 Suppl A():39-46.
- Bourgeois P, Chales G, Dehais J, Delcambre B, Kuntz JL, Rozenberg S. Efficacy and tolerability of chondroitin sulfate 1200 mg/day vs chondroitin sulfate 3 x 400 mg/day vs placebo. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 6 Suppl A():25-30.
- Mazieres B, Loyau G, Menkes CJ, et al. Chondroitin sulfate in the treatment of gonarthrosis and coxarthrosis. 5-months result of a multicenter double-blind controlled prospective study using placebo [in French; English abstract]. Rev Rhum Mal Osteoartic. 1992;59:466-472.
- Das A Jr, Hammad TA. Efficacy of a combination of FCHG49 glucosamine hydrochloride, TRH122 low molecular weight sodium chondroitin sulfate and manganese ascorbate in the management of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 8(5):343-50.
- L'Hirondel JL. Double-blind clinical study with oral administration of chondroitin sulphate versus placebo in tibiofemoral gonarthrosis (125 patients) [in German]. Litera Rheumatol. 1992;14:77-84.
- Reichenbach S, Sterchi R, Scherer M, et al. Meta-analysis: chondroitin for osteoarthritis of the knee or hip. Ann Intern Med. 2007;146:580-590.
- Monfort J, Martel-Pelletier J, Pelletier JP. Chondroitin sulphate for symptomatic osteoarthritis: critical appraisal of metaanalyses. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 Apr 15.
- Nakazawa K. Effect of chondroitin sulfates on atherosclerosis. I. Long term oral administration of chondroitin sulfates to atherosclerotic subjects [in Japanese]. Nippon Naika Gakkai Zasshi. 1970;59:1084-1092.
- Braun WA, Flynn MG, Armstrong WJ, Jacks DD. The effects of chondroitin sulfate supplementation on indices of muscle damage induced by eccentric arm exercise. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 45(4):553-60.