I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Citrus Bioflavonoids||0 people have prescribed Citrus Bioflavonoids|
Double-blind trials suggest (but do not prove conclusively) that a micronized combination preparation of diosmin and hesperidin may be helpful for hemorrhoids . 1 Diosmin and hesperidin, as well as the bioflavonoid rutin, may also be helpful for chronic venous insufficiency , a condition in which the veins in the legs begin to weaken. 2 At least one good double-blind trial found diosmin and hesperidin also to be helpful for individuals who develop bruises or nosebleeds easily. 3 Citrus bioflavonoids have also been tried, with some success, for treating lymphedema (arm swelling) following breast cancer surgery . 4
Note: Do not use bioflavonoid combinations containing tangeretin if you are taking tamoxifen for breast cancer.
In addition, highly preliminary evidence suggests that citrus bioflavonoids may help reduce cholesterol levels, 5 control inflammation, 6 benefit people with diabetes , 7 and reduce allergic reactions , 8 and prevent cancer .
"Sweetie fruit," a bioflavonoid-rich hybrid of grapefruit and pummelo, has shown a bit of promise for treatment of high blood pressure . 9
- Godeberge P. Daflon 500 mg in the treatment of hemorrhoidal disease: a demonstrated efficacy in comparison with placebo. Angiology. 45(6 Pt 2):574-8.
- Tsouderos Y. Venous tone: are the phlebotonic properties predictive of a therapeutic benefit? A comprehensive view of our experience with Daflon 500 mg. Z Kardiol. 80 Suppl 7():95-101.
- Galley P, Thiollet M. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of a new veno-active flavonoid fraction (S 5682) in the treatment of symptomatic capillary fragility. Int Angiol. 12(1):69-72.
- Pecking AP, Février B, Wargon C, Pillion G. Efficacy of Daflon 500 mg in the treatment of lymphedema (secondary to conventional therapy of breast cancer). Angiology. 48(1):93-8.
- Lee SH, Park YB, Bae KH, Bok SH, Kwon YK, Lee ES, Choi MS. Cholesterol-lowering activity of naringenin via inhibition of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase and acyl coenzyme A:cholesterol acyltransferase in rats. Ann Nutr Metab. 43(3):173-80.
- Emim JA, Oliveira AB, Lapa AJ. Pharmacological evaluation of the anti-inflammatory activity of a citrus bioflavonoid, hesperidin, and the isoflavonoids, duartin and claussequinone, in rats and mice. J Pharm Pharmacol. 46(2):118-22.
- Manuel y Keenoy B, Vertommen J, De Leeuw I. The effect of flavonoid treatment on the glycation and antioxidant status in Type 1 diabetic patients. Diabetes Nutr Metab. 12(4):256-63.
- Middleton E Jr, Drzewiecki G, Tatum J. The effects of citrus flavonoids on human basophil and neutrophil function. Planta Med. 53(4):325-8.
- Reshef N, Hayari Y, Goren C, et al. Antihypertensive effect of sweetie fruit in patients with stage I hypertension. Am J Hypertens. 2005;18:1360-1363.