I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Desmopressin Acetate||0 people have prescribed Desmopressin Acetate|
(des moe PRES in)
U.S. Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Desmopressin®; DDAVP®; DDAVP® Melt; Minirin®; Novo-Desmopressin; Octostim®; PMS-Desmopressin
Mexican Brand Names
Nafiset; Octostim; Pizzard
Antihemophilic Agent; Hemostatic Agent; Vasopressin Analog, Synthetic
Reasons not to take this medicine
• Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 3 months of age.
• If you have an allergy to desmopressin acetate or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have low sodium levels or severe kidney disease.
How does it work?
• Desmopressin is a naturally-occurring hormone in the body.
• It enhances reabsorption of water in the kidneys.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine at bedtime for bedwetting.
• Follow directions given by healthcare provider for drinking liquids.
• Follow directions given by healthcare provider or read the package insert.
• Use solution and spray in the nose.
• Blow your nose before use.
• This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle, under the skin, or into a vein.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Use a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not use a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood work regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Store DDAVP® and Stimate® at room temperature. Keep in upright position. Throw away any unused portion after 6 months.
• Store DDAVP® Rhinal Tube and Minirin™ in a refrigerator or at room temperature. If stored at room temperature, throw away any unused portion after 3 weeks.
• This medicine will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2005-04-07 16:32:36.0
Modified: 2010-03-09 08:17:30.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.