I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Epinephrine (Systemic, Oral Inhalation)||0 people have prescribed Epinephrine (Systemic, Oral Inhalation)|
(ep i NEF rin)
U.S. Brand Names
Adrenaclick™; Adrenalin®; EpiPen®; EpiPen® Jr; Primatene® Mist [OTC]; S2® [OTC]; Twinject®
Canadian Brand Names
Adrenalin®; Epi E-Z Pen®; EpiPen®; EpiPen® Jr; Twinject®
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to epinephrine or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have taken isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine in the last 14 days. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine) must be stopped 14 days before this medicine is started. Taking the two together could cause dangerously high blood pressure.
How does it work?
• EpiPen®, EpiPen® Jr: This medicine blocks the allergic reaction by minimizing or preventing the body's reaction to the allergen.
• Adrenalin®: This medicine excites the heart.
• This medicine works to open the airways in lung diseases where spasms may cause breathing problems.
How is it best taken?
EpiPen®, EpiPen® Jr:
• Read directions before an emergency occurs.
• Use this medicine for emergencies which may include insect stings or bites, food, drug, latex allergies, and ones caused by exercise.
• Keep this medicine with you at all times. Can keep extra ones at work, school, and home.
• Never put fingers, or hand over tip.
• Do not remove safety release until ready to use.
• Do not use if solution is not clear or if red flag is in window.
• When ready to use, remove pen from case.
• Hold pen with tip pointing down.
• Make a fist around pen.
• Pull off safety release.
• Jab straight into the outer thigh until it clicks and hold for 10 seconds.
• Remove and massage area where shot was given.
• Get medical attention now.
• Call the emergency department. Do not drive yourself to the hospital.
• Replace in storage case.
• Take it with you to the hospital.
• Your healthcare provider will give this medicine.
• For inhaling (puffing) only by an inhaler or as a liquid (solution) through a special machine (nebulizer) into the lungs.
• Inhale once, may repeat in 1 minute if symptoms are not relieved. Wait at least 3 hours before using again.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
EpiPen®, EpiPen® Jr:
• Protect from light.
• Protect from heat or open flame.
• This medicine will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2009-11-04 19:41:02.0
Modified: 2010-04-12 14:07:50.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.