I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Estradiol and Norethindrone||0 people have prescribed Estradiol and Norethindrone|
(es tra DYE ole & nor eth IN drone)
U.S. Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Estrogen and Progestin Combination
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• Estrogens, when used in females after menopause, may increase the risk of uterine cancer. Progestins may decrease this risk. A warning sign for cancer of the uterus is unusual vaginal bleeding. Report any unusual vaginal bleeding to healthcare provider.
• Do not take estrogens to prevent heart disease or dementia. Using estrogens may increase your chances of having a heart attack, a stroke, breast cancer, or a blood clot.
• Do not take estrogens if you are pregnant. If you become pregnant while taking this medicine, call healthcare provider right away.
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to estradiol, norethindrone, or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Blood clots, breast cancer, liver disease, stroke, tumor where estrogen makes it grow, or unexplained vaginal bleeding.
• If you are pregnant or may be pregnant.
How does it work?
• When the body no longer produces estrogen, this medicine is used as an estrogen replacement.
• Norethindrone is a progesterone used to reduce endometrial cell changes and the risk of endometrial cancer.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine at a similar time of day.
• Take this medicine with food.
• This medicine works best when used with calcium/vitamin D supplements and weight-bearing exercises like walking or physical therapy.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
• Apply to clean, dry, healthy skin. Move site with each patch.
• Do not place on breast.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Use a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not use a double dose or extra doses.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood pressure regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• If you are diabetic, you will need to monitor blood sugars closely.
• Check blood work (cholesterol panel). Talk with healthcare provider.
• Have a yearly eye exam.
• Bone density test.
• Periodic breast (monthly self-exam) and yearly gynecologic exams are important.
• Follow up with healthcare provider yearly.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
• Read the package insert for more details.
Created: 2006-10-13 12:21:39.0
Modified: 2010-04-06 12:42:24.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.