I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Fluphenazine||0 people have prescribed Fluphenazine|
(floo FEN a zeen)
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Fluphenazine Decanoate®; Apo-Fluphenazine®; Modecate®; Modecate® Concentrate; PMS-Fluphenazine Decanoate
Antipsychotic Agent, Typical, Phenothiazine
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• There is an increased chance of death in elderly people who take this medicine for dementia.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to fluphenazine or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Brain damage, liver disease, or low blood cell count.
• If you are breast-feeding.
How does it work?
• Fluphenazine helps clear your thinking.
• It works on improving social interactions, mood, expression of mood, as well as, delusions, paranoia, and appearance.
How is it best taken?
• Drink plenty of noncaffeine-containing liquid unless told to drink less liquid by healthcare provider.
• A liquid (concentrate, elixir) is available if you cannot swallow pills. Mix liquid concentrate with 1/2 cup of water before drinking.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Dry mouth may cause an increase in cavities. Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• Follow up with healthcare provider.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store at room temperature.
• Protect from light.
• Protect tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 12:43:05.0
Modified: 2010-03-19 14:39:29.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.