I'm a professional and
|0 people have tried Furosemide||0 people have prescribed Furosemide|
(fyoor OH se mide)
U.S. Brand Names
Canadian Brand Names
Apo-Furosemide®; Dom-Furosemide; Furosemide Injection, USP; Furosemide Special; Lasix®; Lasix® Special; Novo-Semide; Nu-Furosemide; PMS-Furosemide
Mexican Brand Names
What key warnings should I know about before taking this medicine?
• This medicine is a strong water pill. Sometimes too much water and important elements (potassium) in the blood can be lost. Your healthcare provider will follow you closely to change the dose to match your body's needs.
• This medicine does not mix well with some medicines. Serious reactions may occur. Check all medicines with healthcare provider.
Reasons not to take this medicine
• If you have an allergy to furosemide or any other part of this medicine.
• Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved.
• If you have a sulfonamide ("sulfa") allergy, talk with healthcare provider.
• If you have any of the following conditions: Coma from liver disease, difficulty urinating, kidney disease, liver disease, low calcium levels, low magnesium levels, or low potassium levels.
How does it work?
• Furosemide gets rid of extra salt and water in the body through the kidneys.
How is it best taken?
• Take this medicine early in the day to avoid sleep problems.
• Take this medicine with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
• A liquid (solution) is available if you cannot swallow pills.
• Those who have feeding tubes can also use the liquid. Flush the feeding tube before and after medicine is given.
• Follow diet plan and exercise program as recommended by healthcare provider.
• This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or vein.
What do I do if I miss a dose? (does not apply to patients in the hospital)
• Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
• If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
• Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
• Do not change dose or stop medicine. Talk with healthcare provider.
What should I monitor?
• Change in condition being treated. Is it better, worse, or about the same?
• Check blood pressure and heart rate regularly. Talk with healthcare provider.
• Check blood work (potassium, kidney function). Talk with healthcare provider.
• Dry mouth may cause an increase in cavities. Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist regularly.
• If you are diabetic, you will need to monitor blood sugars closely.
How should I store this medicine?
• Store liquid (solution) and tablets at room temperature. Do not freeze liquid (solution).
• Protect liquid (solution) and tablets from light.
• Protect tablets from moisture. Do not store in a bathroom or kitchen.
• The injection will be given to you in a healthcare setting. You will not store it at home.
• If you have a life-threatening allergy, wear allergy identification at all times.
• Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's medicine.
• Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
• Most medicines can be thrown away in household trash after mixing with coffee grounds or kitty litter and sealing in a plastic bag.
• Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, natural products, supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider (doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, physician assistant).
• Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or in Canada to Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program at 1-866-234-2345.
• Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine, including over-the-counter, natural products, or vitamins.
Created: 2006-10-13 12:48:04.0
Modified: 2010-03-25 09:18:58.0
Lexi-PALS TM © (1977)-(2007) Lexi-Comp, Inc. All rights reserved.